Friday, September 4, 2026

What Does A Healthy Relationship Really Look Like? Part 1

What Does a Healthy Relationship Really Look Like? Part 1

What does a healthy relationship actually look like?

Is it never arguing?
Never getting irritated with each other?
Never hurting each other's feelings?
Never having disagreements?

I don't think so.

I think a healthy relationship is two imperfect people who are willing to keep choosing each other—even when things aren't perfect.

Because let's face it...
Relationships aren't always easy.

There will be disagreements.
There will be bad moods.
There will be financial stress, family problems, work problems, misunderstandings, and days when one person just isn't themselves.

That's life.

The difference is how you treat each other when life gets hard.

In a healthy relationship, you should be able to talk about difficult things without the conversation automatically turning into a disrespectful argument.

You should be able to say:
"That hurt my feelings."
"I'm worried about our finances."
"I'm not comfortable with this."
"I need something from you."
"I'm unhappy about what's happening."

And your partner should be able to listen.
That doesn't mean they have to automatically agree. Listening isn't agreeing.

Sometimes your partner may see things completely differently than you do. That's okay.

You can disagree without belittling each other. You can be frustrated without being disrespectful. You can be angry without trying to hurt each other.

And you should be able to walk away from a difficult conversation knowing that your partner still respects you—even though you didn't see eye to eye.

I've heard the saying, "Happy wife, happy life."

And while it's usually said as a joke, I actually believe there's some truth behind it.

But I'd change it slightly:
Happy partner, happier relationship.

Your partner's happiness should matter to you. Their feelings should matter. Their stress should matter. Their comfort should matter. Their emotional well-being should matter.

And that goes both ways.

If your partner comes home exhausted, you should care. If they're upset, you should want to understand why. If something is bothering them, you shouldn't automatically make it about yourself.

Sometimes they don't need you to fix anything. Sometimes they just need you to listen.

And sometimes, loving someone means noticing the little things. The things that made you fall in love with them in the first place.

Remember the beginning?
The checking in.
The random texts.
The affection.
The compliments.
The little surprises.
Wanting to spend time together.
Wanting to make each other happy.
Making an effort because you genuinely wanted to.

So what happens when the relationship gets comfortable?

Why do we sometimes stop doing the very things that made the relationship feel so good in the beginning?

Getting comfortable shouldn't mean stopping your effort.

You don't have to recreate the honeymoon stage forever. But you should continue showing your partner that they're worth the effort.

Because good relationships don't necessarily stay good by accident. They stay good because both people continue to participate in making them good.

And that's where pride comes in.

Sometimes you have to put your pride aside and really look at yourself. Not just at your partner.

Ask yourself:
What am I doing to them?
How do my words make them feel?
How does my behavior affect them?
Am I listening to understand, or am I just waiting for my turn to respond?

And sometimes, the hardest thing you'll ever have to say is:
"I was wrong."
Not:
"I was wrong, but you..."
Not:
"I'm sorry you feel that way."
Not:
"Well, you did this first."
Just:
"I was wrong. I hurt you. I'm sorry."

That's accountability.

And accountability doesn't make you weak.
It doesn't make you lose an argument.
It doesn't make your partner "win."
It means your relationship is more important to you than your pride.

Because love alone isn't enough.

You can love someone deeply and still hurt them. You can love someone and still make them feel alone. You can love someone and still make them feel unheard. You can love someone and still need to change.

Love is the foundation. But relationships need more than a foundation.

They need communication.
Respect.
Trust.
Honesty.
Boundaries.
Compromise.
Effort.
Accountability.
Affection.
And emotional safety.

A healthy relationship isn't one where two people never hurt each other. It's one where both people care enough to recognize when they've caused hurt and are willing to do something about it.

It's two people who don't just ask, "Do you love me?"

They ask: "Do you feel loved by me?"

And I think that question can change everything.

Because sometimes we love someone exactly the way we know how to love... while completely missing the way they need to be loved.

So maybe a healthy relationship isn't about finding someone who never makes mistakes. Maybe it's about finding someone who is willing to see them, own them, apologize for them, and work on them.

And being willing to do the same.

Because at the end of the day, love isn't just something you feel. Love is something you do.

Until We Speak Again,
A Hopeful Soul

No comments:

Post a Comment