Translate

Thursday, June 4, 2026

Respawn

Life is hard.

I know that's not some groundbreaking revelation, but it's true. Between work, bills, relationships, responsibilities, heartbreak, and the million other things life throws at us, sometimes it feels like we're carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders.

Sometimes we just need a break.

For some people, that break comes in the form of a good book. For others, it's music, movies, exercise, or spending time outdoors.

For me, it's gaming.

The funny thing is that people who don't play games often see them as a waste of time. They see someone sitting in front of a screen and assume they're doing nothing productive.

But for many of us, gaming isn't about wasting time. It's about escaping reality for a little while.

When I log into a game, my mortgage doesn't exist. My bills don't exist. Work doesn't exist. The arguments, the stress, the worries, the uncertainty about tomorrow—all of it gets placed on pause.

For a little while, I get to be someone else.

Maybe I'm building a city. Maybe I'm fighting zombies. Maybe I'm leading an alliance, completing quests, or exploring a world that only exists in pixels and code.

Whatever I'm doing, I'm not thinking about the things that are weighing me down in real life.
And honestly? Sometimes that's exactly what I need.

Life doesn't come with a pause button. No matter how overwhelmed we become, the responsibilities keep coming. The phone keeps ringing. The bills keep arriving. The problems don't magically disappear.

Gaming gives me something life often doesn't: a chance to breathe.

It gives me goals I can actually accomplish. Challenges I can overcome. Problems I can solve.

When life feels chaotic, games make sense.
You know the objective. You know the rules.
You know what you're working toward. And after a rough day, that can be incredibly comforting.

Of course, like anything else, moderation matters. Gaming shouldn't replace real life. It shouldn't become a way to avoid every problem or responsibility. The problems will still be there when the console turns off.

But sometimes we need a temporary escape so we can return to reality with a clearer mind.

That's what gaming has always been for me.
A reset button. A distraction. A safe place to disappear for a little while when the real world gets too loud.

And maybe that's why so many of us love it.
Because sometimes we don't need to save the world. Sometimes we just need a place to escape from it.

And then, when we're ready, we can hit "respawn" and try again tomorrow.

Until We Speak Again,
An Allied Soul

If my writing has encouraged you, helped you feel less alone, or simply brightened your day, please consider supporting my work.
https://buymeacoffee.com/echoesbyk

Leave a comment below. Are you a misunderstood gamer? Let's talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Does A Healthy Relationship Really Look Like? Part 1

What Does a Healthy Relationship Really Look Like? Part 1 What does a healthy relationship actually look like? Is it never arguing? Never ge...