Translate

Sunday, August 2, 2026

The Apology That Never Comes

The Apology That Never Comes

Have you ever waited for an apology that you knew you deserved?

Not because you wanted to win an argument.
Not because you wanted someone to admit they were wrong just so you could say, "I told you so."

You wanted an apology because someone hurt you.

You wanted them to recognize it.
You wanted them to look at you and say, "I understand what I did, and I'm sorry I hurt you."

But what happens when that apology never comes?

What happens when, instead of apologizing, they start digging through the past looking for something you've done wrong?

Suddenly, the conversation isn't about what they did anymore.

Now you're defending yourself. Your mistakes are being brought up. Old arguments are being resurrected. Things you've already apologized for are being used as ammunition.

And somehow, the person who hurt you has managed to turn themselves into the victim.

I've learned that sometimes people don't apologize because they don't believe they did anything wrong. Sometimes they know they were wrong, but their pride won't allow them to admit it. Sometimes they give you a technical acknowledgment instead.

"You were right. I was wrong. It won't happen again."

But somehow, that still doesn't feel like an apology.

Maybe because an apology isn't just admitting who was right and who was wrong.
An apology is recognizing the hurt you caused.

There's a difference between:

"You were right and I was wrong."
and
"I was wrong for the way I treated you. I understand that my words and actions hurt you, and I'm genuinely sorry."

One acknowledges the argument. The other acknowledges the person.

And sometimes, you can wait a very long time for the second one.

You might even start questioning yourself.
Am I asking for too much?
Should I just let it go?
Maybe I'm being stubborn.
Maybe I should apologize first just to make peace.

But there's something I've had to remind myself:

Wanting an apology doesn't make you petty.

Sometimes you aren't asking for an apology because you need to hear the word sorry.
You're asking because you need to know that the person who hurt you sees what they did.

You need accountability.
You need acknowledgment.
You need to know that your pain mattered.

And if you're constantly receiving less than you deserve, eventually you have to stop asking yourself how to get someone to give you more.

You have to ask yourself:
How long am I willing to accept less?

Because you can't force someone to feel remorse. You can't force someone to understand your pain. You can't force someone to take accountability. And you certainly can't force someone to apologize sincerely.

At some point, you have to stop waiting for the apology and start deciding what you are going to do with the hurt that remains.

Maybe that means setting a boundary.
Maybe it means having one final conversation.
Maybe it means stepping back.
Maybe it means reevaluating the relationship entirely.

Whatever you decide, don't let someone else's refusal to apologize convince you that what happened wasn't important.

Your hurt doesn't become invalid because someone refuses to acknowledge causing it.
And you don't have to keep begging someone to give you the bare minimum of accountability.

Sometimes the apology never comes.

And as painful as that can be, healing may eventually mean accepting that you deserved an apology from someone who simply wasn't willing to give you one.

That's not the same as saying what they did was okay.

It's saying:
"I can acknowledge what happened even if you won't."

And maybe that's where you finally stop waiting.

Until We Speak Again, 
A Tired Soul


If my writing has encouraged you, helped you feel less alone, or simply brightened your day, please consider supporting my work by clicking on the "Buy Me A Coffee" link, located on the right hand side of my page. Thank you.

Leave a comment with your thoughts. Lack of accountability is a major problem in a lot of relationships. Do you agree or disagree? Let's talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Does A Healthy Relationship Really Look Like? Part 1

What Does a Healthy Relationship Really Look Like? Part 1 What does a healthy relationship actually look like? Is it never arguing? Never ge...